people are hoarding AGAIN, at least in the USA.

Yep, toilet paper is in short supply.
Of course other things are being hoarded on smaller scales for now.

Why are people doing this?
James1956 · 61-69, M
Because they are crazy
I hate this oh God! When will all this end.
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@1098989,Donotfolowme] Well, time to stock up again. None of us want to be one of "Those" people but god damn, what choice is there?
HatterM · 46-50, M
Must be Trump worshippers. It's their way of winning their Civil War.
I know. I can’t find cleaner for my shower. 😥
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@14748,Zebrawl] I do not know if this helps but Lime away or CLR works well, I think that was one of the items people did not hoard. Just if you use them, wear some rubber gloves and have ventilation if possible, that stuff is nasty.
lovelywarpedlemon · 26-30, F
fear, fear, fear, fear, fear, fear, fear
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@417823,lovelywarpedlemon] Guess I was wrong. I thought people were OVER being afraid.

Like this - you know when anything new and bad happens, there is a certain "fear" period but eventually people are like, "WTF ever..."

I guess people cling to their negative feelings.
lovelywarpedlemon · 26-30, F
[@1073121,Leggs] fear is the force behind this whole scheme -- a solution, a problem solvable by science. masses of people refusing the cure because they are afraid to change their own lives. all of us frantically hurtling toward disaster.
helenS · 31-35, F
The strong demand for toilet paper is irrational and can only be explained by applying psychoanalytical methods. Freud would have a field day with that.
Sigmund Freud regarded hoarding as a symptom of what he termed the “anal character”, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that it's exactly toilet paper that's being hoarded.
Here's a detailed explanation:
https://medium.com/@kristiewood/a-psychoanalysis-of-toilet-paper-freudian-wisdom-in-the-corona-pocalypse-e664f2c2e3c6

I posted about it previously:
https://similarworlds.com/30-Miscellaneous/3244989-Anus-Anxiety-or-Why-Do-People-Buy-Toilet-Paper
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@6602,helenS] So I read your post and that article.
So what I gathered then, people are SO DAMNED AFRAID that they are reverting back to near infancy?
I mean that is just bizarre!

How deep is their fear? That is pathetic!
helenS · 31-35, F
[@1073121,Leggs] Yes that's exactly what it is – pathetic. That's why arguing reasonably does not help at all.
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@6602,helenS] While not having enough essentials is not a comforting thought, but even then there are other ways of "cleaning up". I mean if that is ALL it takes for some people to go into that level of fear...

What if they found themselves in a truly dire situation like trapped in a burning building or sharing a prison cell with some guy known as "Jack Hammer sodomite"?