How did Vindman last in the Trump administration as long as he did?

I know he's only one of the authors of this piece, but this almost reads like a hit piece on Trumpism, calling for "recommitting American support for the institutions and norms that make up the liberal international order" and knocking authoritarianism and kleptocracy.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/preserving-liberal-democratic-institutions-through-engagement
Crazywaterspring · 56-60, M
Fox "news" ignored him. And he kept his head down.
[@523909,Crazywaterspring] I guess so, but how could you not call guy with these beliefs a "deep state" guy?
JeanAnna · F
He told the truth, something Trump knows nothing about, so Trump ruined a good man's reputation and fired him. It didn't matter that he was a decorated war veteran. He is a much better man than Trump will ever be. He served our country and Trump was a draft dodger.
Carla · 61-69, F
I think they needed to work up to it.
Firing him was not a good look.
Didnt they oust his brother too?
[@548295,Carla] Demoted I think, but looking at this article, people like this, educated with ideals and integrity and resistant to corruption are exactly the kind of swamp dwellers MAGA folks hate and despise.
Carla · 61-69, F
[@479686,MistyCee] just the loyalty they demand, is as corrupt as it comes. All the other slimy, unlawful and unethical things they do, seem to energize the "maga folks". The worse it gets, the worse it gets😕