I mean, Reich isn't exactly wrong, is he?

Tightening the purse strings during economic downturns is no solution, just ask the UK and various other attempts in history. But why don't the Rs want to help the average joes? Is it [i]really[/i] because they suddenly care about the deficit again as a D sits in the big boy chair? No.

[quote]...The real reason Republicans want to block Biden is they fear his plans will work.

It would be the Republican’s worst nightmare: all the anti-government claptrap they’ve been selling since Ronald Reagan will be revealed as nonsense.

[b]Government isn’t the problem and never was. Bad government is the problem[/b], and Americans have just had four years of it. Biden’s success would put into sharp relief Trump and Republicans’ utter failures on Covid, jobs, poverty, inequality and climate change, and everything else.

Biden and the Democrats would reap the political rewards in 2022 and beyond. Democrats might even capture the presidency and Congress for a generation. After FDR rescued America, the Republican party went dark for two decades.

Trumpian Republicans in Congress have an even more diabolical motive for blocking Biden. They figure if Americans remain in perpetual crises and ever-deepening fear, they’ll lose faith in democracy itself.

This would open the way for another strongman demagogue in 2024 – if not Trump, a Trump-impersonator like Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley or Donald Trump Jr...
[/quote]
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/31/republicans-biden-covid-trump-congress
Even the World Bank published a few years ago a paper stating austerity is completely bogus and a failure and they were the biggest pushers of this ideology globally.
sunrisehawk · 61-69, M
Guess it comes down to who you think can make the best choices for you in the short and long term. Government or yourself. You can find an economist for either decision you want to make.
sunrisehawk · 61-69, M
[@335805,LvChris] I've seen many sheep in my time, glad you love hearing about them, it's just that I don't care to talk about them as they are willing to trade their freedom for security.
LvChris · 36-40, M
[@396546,sunrisehawk] And yet you're the one who brought them up. Forgive me if I don't believe your words because of your behavior.
sunrisehawk · 61-69, M
[@335805,LvChris] You're entitled to believe anything you choose. And if you can't handle a bit of straight talk (you've never seen my behavior, only my words), I understand why you like to have others make the big decisions for you.
strictgram · 70-79, C
By any rational, objective measurement we had 3 years of very successful policies and one year of China virus setbacks.
LvChris · 36-40, M
[@346344,PicturesOfABetterTomorrow] don’t bother with her. It’s a waste of time and clutters posts unnecessarily.
This message was deleted by the author of the main post.
ArtieKat · 61-69, M
Keynes showed that INCREASING public spending in hard times was the most effective way to keep money flowing.
strictgram · 70-79, C
[@9450,ArtieKat] Keynes was a big spending, discredited liberal, probably like yourself. I'm afraid in a battle of the wits you're unarmed.
ArtieKat · 61-69, M
[@396371,strictgram] "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach". I have no political affiliation - I have commonsense. I pity your former pupils.
NoahB · 26-30, M
yep. this is obviously true and anyone who still can't see it is just going to be a mark forever.