Dear Army active members or vets, does the following bug you?

I know I poke fun at you guys a lot, because Army duh!, but we're on the same side really. It sure as hell pisses me off when someone pretends to be a vet, or lies about their service record. It's supposed to be a thing of pride, not something to lie about.

[quote]Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas has accrued a resume tailor-made for a Republican politician: He leapt from a small-town Arkansas cattle farm to Harvard University and then Harvard Law School; he left a leading New York firm to join the military after George W. Bush's re-election; he was discharged after nearly eight years and two war-zone deployments as an Army captain and decorated hero — including two commendation medals, a Bronze Star and a Ranger tab.

But when Cotton launched his first congressional campaign in 2012, he felt compelled to repeatedly falsify that honorable military record, even as he still served in the Army Reserve.

In his first run for Congress, Cotton leaned heavily on his military service, claiming to have been "a U.S. Army Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan," and, in a campaign ad, to have "volunteered to be an Army Ranger." In reality, Cotton was never part of the 75th Ranger Regiment, the elite unit that plans and conducts joint special military operations as part of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command.

Rather, Cotton attended the Ranger School, a two-month-long, small-unit tactical infantry course that literally anyone in the military is eligible attend. Soldiers who complete the course earn the right to wear the Ranger tab — a small arch that reads "Ranger" — but in the eyes of the military, that does not make them an actual Army Ranger.

Yet Cotton told the Hot Springs Sentinel-Record in February 2012: "My experience as a U.S. Army Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan and my experience in business will put me in very good condition." The year before, he told Roby Brock of Talk Politics in a video interview that he "became an infantry officer and an Army Ranger." A Cotton campaign ad placed in the Madison County Record in May 2012 identifies Cotton as a "Battle-Tested Leader" who "Volunteered to be an Army Ranger."

Reached for comment, Cotton spokesperson Caroline Tabler told Salon in an email, "Senator Cotton graduated from Ranger school and is more of a Ranger than a Salon reporter like you will ever be." (It is not immediately clear whether Tabler herself is a Ranger, or whether she graduated from Ranger school. Further, Tabler, a spokesperson for Cotton's Senate office, copied the office's chief of staff, Doug Coutts, on the email, but to a Cotton campaign address; senate offices may not coordinate with campaigns. Tabler asked to arrange an off-the-record call in that email; Salon declined, citing the unfavorable terms.) [/quote]

https://www.salon.com/2021/01/22/sen-tom-cotton-campaigned-on-his-experience-as-an-army-ranger--but-he-didnt-have-any/
Aka: Stolen valor
[@335805,LvChris] As a vet, I respect his service. If he says he was a “Ranger”
a very distinguished Mark then it should reflect on his DD 214 and perhaps if the issue is/was contentious I’d think if he holds to that claim let him prove it to where there is no question. As for punitive action, no because he’s one of many politicians who said things that weren’t necessarily lies but weren’t 100% true either. But , if anyone is concerned, call him out and tell him to prove his claim(s)
LvChris · 36-40, M
[@822235,soar2newhighs] As a vet, I'm disgusted by it. I think he should be as responsible as the law allows. He traded on something he didn't earn to get a political position. It's disgusting. We're supposed to have a higher standard, not just handwave it away.
[@335805,LvChris] one thing to stop and consider in this time of political upheaval- for many, not all politicians there are those who will serve their self interests and it makes no difference to them as to who suffers because of that self serving hubris.
sarabee1995 · 26-30, F
Hmm... So I'm Navy, not Army, but my friend [@9520,Vetguy1991] might be able to provide the proper Army perspective here.

As I understand it, there is "Ranger qualified" and then there are members of the 75th Ranger Regiment. The senator, by completing Ranger school was, I think, ranger qualified, but not a member of the regiment. Not cool to embellish. Not ever. But his service was still honorable. I would want to know more before passing judgement.
sarabee1995 · 26-30, F
[@9520,vetguy1991] 👍
Northwest · M
[@335805,LvChris]

What makes a Ranger is being part of a Ranger Battalion. This is where the actual real qualifying begins. It's like when one graduates medical school. All they can do at that point, is to follow an Attending Physician for a year, then take an exam, and after that they can start by hooking an IV and then take it from there for the next 3 years, before they can really do real doctoring on their own.

If what this article says is true, he really should not be saying he's a Ranger.
Graylight · 46-50, F
[@9416,Northwest] [@1360,sarabee1995] [@9520,vetguy1991] Seems pretty simple to me.

I took an introductory flight in the cockpit of a helicopter once. I am not a helicopter pilot. Not by designation, not by skill, not by knowledge.
This message was deleted by the author of the main post.
[@1360,sarabee1995] <— She nails it. Earning the right to wear a Ranger tab is arguably one of the most strenuous challenges the U.S. military has to offer and definitely no small deal.

Not everyone who becomes “Ranger qualified” serves in Regiment; however, practically everyone in the Army who isn’t Ranger qualified (literally almost everyone) will refer to anyone wearing the tab as a Ranger. They’re not wrong, but Rangers who served in Regiment tend to look immediately to the right shoulder of the uniform to determine if the Ranger is wearing a Ranger scroll patch. This reflects membership AND combat deployment with Regiment.

Essentially, this Salon journalism is splitting hairs.
sarabee1995 · 26-30, F
[@1176176,KrackerBash] It's simple:

If senator Cotton said he was an Army Ranger, then he lied.

If he said he was Ranger qualified, then he did not lie.
windinhishair · 61-69, M
Cotton never has a problem with lying.