Pets, Animals & Nature

Should I be worried?
Our eighteen pound tomcat has some kind of growth on top of his tail, right at the base. It's the same width as his tail and I'd say about a quarter of an inch tall. Its soft to the touch, almost squishy, actually, and it's not bugging him at all. He doesn't even seem to know its there. I'm just curious what it might be, since as far as I know none of our other cats have ever gotten something like this and its the first time I've seen something like it.

Edit: pretty sure I overestimated on the size. He won't stay still long enough for me to get a good look at it.
1
|
Edited: 3 yrs ago
are you sure it's not a tick?
they can be very large.
it'll be round and smooth.

or is this something under the skin?
I don't know..
Maybe you should have a vet look at it
ScrewThisImDone · 22-25, F
That's pretty much the plan if it starts making him uncomfortable.
I wouldn't wait..
ReaperofTime · 41-45, M
Could be an abcess. Just watch it. If it continues to grow. Ask a vet to lance it.
ScrewThisImDone · 22-25, F
I just noticed it when I was petting him earlier tonight, so no idea how long it's actually been there. I told my mom I'd keep an eye on it, though.
ReaperofTime · 41-45, M
@PearlRose: it sounds like an abcess. But just be sure. If it swells. Check it. Let them lance and drain
take him to the vet/it could be cancerous
alberta01 · M
Take him to vet. :)
Fungirlmmm · 46-50, F
If it is something beyond a common abcess or something the quicker you get him in to the vetcan the better. My mom's dog had what she thought was an allergy and it ended up being a cancer. They caught it early though and were able to remove it and only minor treatment and he was okay.
BeardedDoc · 31-35, M
Heeeey it could be an abscess as others mentioned. Better bring her to the vet as cats can get pretty sick if an abscess goes untreated. It needs to be drained and she would need antibiotics. It could be something else like a fatty growth (lipoma), but you can't tell until you stick a needle in it. If it is an abscess, it means your kitty is the runner, not the fighter haha
arrivederci · 31-35, F
Take him straight to the vet. Considering his size it might be another cat trying to get out!

Pets, Animals & Nature

Should I be worried? | Pets, Animals & Nature | Similar Worlds