I Have Goals I Hope to Achieve

Maybe I'm just feeling reflective since I turned 50, but here are some of the things I still hope to accomplish in my life, none of them related to my profession:

1. I'd like to find a charity or two that I care passionately about, and to which I can make financial contributions that will make a real difference after I'm gone. I've worked hard and saved a lot of money. I want to put it to good use.

2. I'd like to do some book-length writing projects as a second career after I retire--which won't be for a while. Probably some sort of history or biography, but you never know. I've published a fair amount--poems and essays for fun, and no shortage of business-related things, including a textbook. But I'd like to have a project that's a passion. And to do it well.

3. I'd like to find a way for my wife and me to become best friends and soulmates. It's difficult to admit that we aren't, but it's the truth. We love each other in complicated and important ways, but she's not where I turn for comfort and understanding and just the wonderful quiet experience of being together. We work hard on our relationship, but I wish it was one that didn't take so much hard work. This is an area of my life where I don't feel like a success.

4. I want my two stepsons to be happy and self-supporting. It won't be easy--one battles addiction and one battles learning disabilities. But they are smart and funny and remarkable and I love them madly.

5. I'd like my religion to survive into future generations of my family. It's just barely hanging on, due in part to my own intermarriage and the fact that my wife and I didn't have kids of our own. But it looks like my sister's children may keep it going!

Perhaps I'll add to this list over time, but that's it for now. Just a pensive night looking out the window in a lonely airport, waiting for a long-delayed flight to carry me on into the future.
LadyBronte · 56-60, F
This was a lovely list. I wish you much success.
Harmonium1923 · 51-55, M
[@9537,LadyBronte] Thank you. I appreciate that. I just reread it myself and it still rings very true today. I wouldn’t change a word.
ravenwind43 · 46-50, F
Sounds like a great list. I have mixed feelings about goals. I make them, I believe in them, but at the same time they have such a tentative feeling about them as well.
When my son passed away I wrote something similar about them. A bit crude perhaps but honest. "Life has a way of kicking your ass and leaving you gasping on the side of the road."
Nevertheless, goals are good. Good luck with them:)
CoffeeFirst · 56-60, F
That sounds like you've put some thought into this. All very good goals.

The only thing both DH and I have thought is to help families who have been in dire straits like we have been at times.
Ladyryan · 46-50, F
Very sensible list... Good luck 🙏

I Have Goals I Hope to Achieve