Friends & Acquaintances

If a friend behaved strangely and babbled would you avoid him/her?
This is assuming that you've known the person for a few years and they've never behaved this way before. They are babbling irrationally saying, "I am very sick! I need help!" But unable to explain why.
5
|
curiosi · 56-60, F
No, sometimes people are pushed to their limit. They just need someone to lean on for a bit so they can stand up straight again.
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@423488,curiosi] Thank you. I admit I have not really thought about that. It is a comforting thought to believe their may well be a higher purpose in all this.
curiosi · 56-60, F
[@358142,greenmountaingal] This article may help you. It's written about a priest who was a spiritual director to the nuns in Nice France.
http://www.mountainrunnerdoc.com/JPdeCaussade.html
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@423488,curiosi] Thank you. I will look it up.
WelshLovely · 41-45, F
Then surely that would point to something not being right with them? Babbling and confusion could be caused by a number of physical or mental illnesses and it sounds like they need some help, especially as it's unusual behaviour for them.
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@1767,WelshLovely] Thank You! It is still stunning to me that no one took me to a hospital until I was totally delusional. And the person who took me was an annoyed reluctant acquaintance who simply had a conscience.
WelshLovely · 41-45, F
[@358142,greenmountaingal] It was one of the first symptoms my Dad had when he had his first stroke. He was talking coherently as far as strangers would think, but we knew that what he was saying wasn't right for him, so it's important to get things checked out...
BenHeman · 31-35, M
No, I'll take it seriously,and try My best to talk it out, or take them straight to a hospital check in!
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@325451,BenHeman] Thank you. When I was very sick and in a state of delusional delirium all I needed was a ride to a hospital. And, because I was irrational and acting crazy (non-threatening, didn't hurt anyone), everyone ignored me. I am still trying to digest this.
BenHeman · 31-35, M
[@358142,greenmountaingal] I believe you, and that's a horrible situation to be in! I hope you're better now, you're loved... stay safe.
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@325451,BenHeman] Thank you. I am reaching out here because I want to believe that I was just unlucky, or picked the wrong friends and that most people, or at least many people would've helped me.
xixgun · M
I would do for them what I could. They are still my friend.
Puffieke · F
They probably just don’t want to talk about it. [@777164,xixgun]
MournfulMind · 51-55, F
I would contact their relatives and let them know.
MournfulMind · 51-55, F
Were you able to find someone to advocate for you? Do you at least have some form of Medicare/Medicaid ...look for help?[@358142,greenmountaingal]
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@8567,Ginnymae] I have no one to advocate for me. But it could be worse; I do have an HMO and health insurance as part of my retirement package. What I needed was someone to recognize that I needed to be in a hospital and needed a ride there.
MournfulMind · 51-55, F
Do you have or need an emergency bracelet? My MIL fainted in public and someone called 911. Does your area have that? I’m glad you have some type of coverage. I’m am sorry you have no one to watch over you. [@358142,greenmountaingal]
Puffieke · F
If they are a friend I wouldn’t avoid them no. No one has ever done that to me though.
Fernie · F
I would instantly know she was in trouble and call for help
SweetMae · 61-69, F
I would seek medical attention for them.
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@10109,SweetMae] Thank you. This seems obvious to me. When it happened to me, I was stunned that no one did anything.

I think people were used to my being independent and strong. But my car had died permanently, I had little money for cabs, and I was so confused it was hard to even make a phone call. Trying to explain everything was not possible.
SweetMae · 61-69, F
[@14748,Puffieke] Confusion is not a good sign in an older person. It is better to err on the side of caution.
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@10109,SweetMae] Many people don't know that a UTI can make you appear psychotic. It is actually a mental illness called delirium. Older people, especially women, are more likely to get it. It can be easily cured through clearing up the original infection. Because I had no medical help for 3 months, I suffered some significant hearing loss, some minor brain damage causing loud tinnitus, slowed down kidney function and my UTI condition became chronic and very hard to cure.
WelshLovely · 41-45, F
Are you on the mend now?
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@1767,WelshLovely] Still dealing with the original problem, chronic UTIs, and recently was in the hospital again. Fighting it but feeling discouraged at times. There is a lot of research being done in this area and I am trying hard to keep up with it. Have new team of competent and caring doctors so am trying to be hopeful.
WelshLovely · 41-45, F
[@358142,greenmountaingal] Good luck and I hope all improves for you asap!
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@1767,WelshLovely] Thank you.

Friends & Acquaintances

If a friend behaved strangely and babbled would yo... | Friends & Acquaintances | Similar Worlds